Fire Safety

Each year the Jasper Fire Department comes in contact with thousands of children and adults educating them in fire safety. Our effort begins with sound fire safety education of children. We accomplish this by providing programs at the city schools and through educational material aimed at particular age groups in different grade levels.

The National Fire Safety Council provides quality educational material that comes from donations from local businesses. The participation from these businesses has allowed us to see that all school-age children in Jasper, are provided a sound basis of fire safety which is consistently reinforced throughout their school years. Each year, these children are provided with educational material that builds from previous years. By combining this education with programs put on by the Jasper Fire Department, we hope to develop an attitude in our young people that will keep them and their families safe.

Our Fire Safety education is not limited to children. Each year, we speak to a variety of local groups and organizations. The threat of fire is a concern to all of us, both young and old, so by educating adults we have completed the circle of concern.

Please contact the Jasper Fire Department at 205-221-8509 for Fire Safety Education classes or please look at our Fire Safety Tips for fire safety information.

Fire Safety Tips

There are numerous things that we can do to make our homes safe from fire and protect our families. Listed are a few of the most common things we should know. For additional information or answers to questions, please contact the Jasper Fire Department at 205-221-8509.

  • Smoke Detectors are the most effective lifesaving device you can have to protect you and your family. Each year, thousands of families are alerted to home fires by smoke detectors. With this form of early detection, they are able to safely exit their home before the fire progresses, preventing escape.
  • E.D.I.T.H. Exit Drills In The House Planning for the event of a fire can greatly enhance your escape and survival from fire. Plan how to escape by looking for escape routes from bedrooms and other areas in the home. In the event of a fire, always stay low and crawl towards your exit. If you come to a door, check with your hand to see if the door is hot.  If the door is hot, do not open it, you could have a fire on the other side and need to go to an alternate exit, such as a window. By placing a towel or other item at the bottom of a door, you can help prevent smoke from entering your room until you can exit from a window.

Different styles of homes can vary your quickest way out. If you need assistance in planning escape routes, please contact the Jasper Fire Department at 205-221-8509. Remember to practice escaping from your home in the event of a fire and always have a designated meeting place for you and your family once you're out. And always remember, Once Your Out, Stay Out!

  • Always extinguish smoking materials completely
  • Never smoke in bed
  • Never store flammable liquids in living areas or in areas with a heat source, such as gas hot water heaters. Store gasoline in approved containers
  • Have your fireplace chimney cleaned and inspected for cracks each season to eliminate the possibility of chimney fires
  • Never use flammable liquids to start fires in the fireplace
  • Keep a fire extinguisher in the kitchen. Place it where it is easily accessed in case of fire
  • Never overload electrical circuits with extension plugs. This can cause the wiring to overheat and create a hazardous condition
  • Keep matches where children cannot reach them
  • When cooking, do not wear clothing that is loose and can come in contact with heating elements
  • Remember to STOP, DROP and ROLL if your clothing catches fire
  • Repair or replace extension cords that are frayed or worn
  • Keep Christmas trees a safe distance from any heat source or fireplace
  • Never leave auxiliary heating devices, such as kerosene heaters unattended
  • Always turn off auxiliary heating devices when you are leaving home or are going to bed and never refuel these devices in the home
  • When cooking, turn all handles away from stove fronts so small children cannot grab them and get burned
  • Grease fires are the most common type of home fire. Never leave a stove unattended when cooking. In the event of a grease fire, never try to remove the pan from the stove unit. Wrap a towel over your hand and forearm and slide a cooking pan or a lid over the fire from the side, slowly covering the pan. After doing this be sure to turn the heating element off. If this method is impossible, use a fire extinguisher
  • Always contact the fire department in the event of a fire