The City invests available funds with local financial institutions. All funds in excess of federally insured deposits must comply with Alabama’s SAFE program.
Jasper sales and use tax is 3.5% (0.35) of retail gross sales.
Effective February 1, 2022, general sales and use tax rates inside the city limits of Jasper increased by one-half percent to 3.5% (0.35) of retail gross sales. Automotive sales tax rates increased to seven-eighths of one percent (.875) of gross sales. For a complete listing of rates changes, please visit https://revenue.alabama.gov/.../2017/07/Jasper_20220118.pdf or call Jasper City Hall at 205-221-2100.
Sales, use, lodging, and rental tax are paid directly to the State of Alabama. The city has partnered with the Alabama Department of Revenue in obtaining the department’s E-Filing Services for their taxpayers. You can file your return at http://www.revenue.alabama.gov/salestax/online/NSAsetup.htm. The City of Jasper’s jurisdiction number is 9680. The jurisdiction account number will be the same as your State of Alabama account number.
Sales tax is defined as a privilege or license tax on persons engaged in the business of selling at retail any tangible personal property within the city or in the business of conducting places of amusement or entertainment within the city, generally measured by the gross sales or receipts of such businesses and an excise tax on the storage, use or other consumption of tangible personal property within the city, generally measured by the sale price of such property.
Any time any commercial or industrial activity or any enterprise, trade, profession, occupation, or livelihood, including the lease of residential or nonresidential real estate, whether or not carried on for gain or profit, and whether or not engaged as a principal or independent contractor, which is engaged in, or caused to be engaged in, within the City limits of Jasper.
Effective January 1, 2023, the city has a sixteen-dollar ($16.00) per month garbage rate for residents. It is billed quarterly on the first of the month in January, April, July, and October. Please contact the garbage office for business rates.
In addition to weekly garbage pickup, below is a list of services and information related to the services that are provided for your garbage payment.
Items picked up for the homeowner are generally picked up the same day as garbage:
- Vegetation, tree refuse, limbs, and branches. Tree material to be picked up cannot exceed 10’ to 12’ long
- Furniture, mattresses, boxes, clothing, toys, construction materials, etc.
- Grass clippings and leaves. Leaves will automatically be picked up at the end of September.
- If residential refuse exceeds one truckload, customers will be charged an additional fee of $200, which needs to be paid prior to being picked up at the Public Works Dept. Any city resident can bring residential trash and debris in a pickup truck or smaller vehicle at no charge to the City Landfill. Or you can rent roll-offs at Farley Recycling or Walker County Solid Waste.
Businesses & Contractors
- No refuse, other than vegetation refuse, will be picked up by the city at any business location.
- No contractor-generated materials will be picked up by the city at any residential or business location. Such materials shall be required to be disposed of by the contractor or property owner. Lawn maintenance and landscapers must haul off all debris, including grass clippings and trimmings.
Items that cannot be picked up:
- Appliances, TVs, computers, paints & chemicals, etc. You can take these items to 101 29th Street East. Place appliances and electronics at the red Electronic Disposal sign on the left before you go through the gate to Street Dept. Refrigerators, freezers, or other large containers must have doors removed. Chemicals can be dropped in the dumpsters outside the gate.
- Do not empty the contents of a house on city right of way.
- Landlords owning only 1 rental house can put out refuse to be picked up if the address is set up for residential garbage service. If two or more are owned the refuse must be taken to the landfill.
When placing items out for pickup, please remember:
- Do not obstruct traffic or the line of sight.
- Leave space from low-lying lines, structures, and cars.
- Separate leaves and grass from debris.
Should you have any questions or have unusual or large items for pickup, please call 205-221-8529 or email email@example.com
Garbage service is mandatory for all Jasper residents and businesses. To receive garbage service you will need to apply for service at our garbage office located at Jasper City Hall. Once you have paid a $50.00 refundable deposit, and your account has been established you will receive your garbage can. Call 205-221-8533 for questions or more information.